Research suggests that carbonated beverages are linked with out-of-hospital cardiac arrests (OHCAs) of cardiac origin. A study consisting of almost 800,000 participants demonstrates that limiting the consumption of carbonated drinks might be beneficial for overall health.

Carbonated Drinks And Cardiac Events

Lead investigator Professor Keijiro Saku, Dean and Professor of Cardiology at Fukuoka University in Japan stated that certain epidemiological studies had established a correlation between consuming soft drinks and the incidence of cardiovascular diseases (CVD) and stroke. Some reports also claim that coffee and green tea lower the risk and mortality of CVD.

Carbonated beverages, such as sodas, have often been associated with an increased likelihood of stroke, subclinical cardiac remodeling and metabolic syndrome. However, previous researches did not investigate an association between consuming large quantities of carbonated drinks and fatal CVD – the OHCAs of cardiac origin.

Finding Connection

In order to explore this possibility, researchers compared the consumption of different carbonated beverages per person to age-related incidences of OHCAs. The study used data from the All-Japan Utstein Registry of the Fire and Disaster Management Agency, between the years 2005 and 2011 – a total of 797,422 OHCA patients of cardiac and non-cardiac origin. Information about the consumption of beverages per person was taken from the Ministry of Health, Labor and Welfare of Japan, accounting expenditure on beverages as a proxy measure.

The data analysis concentrated on the 785,591 cases of OHCA that had received resuscitation, of which 55.4 percent – 435,064 – were of cardiac origin and the remaining 44.6 percent – 350,527 – were of non-cardiac origin. Patients of non-cardiac origins had respiratory disease, cerebrovascular disease, malignant tumors and exogenous disease (6.1 percent, 4.8 percent, 3.5 percent and 18.9 percent respectively).

Fate Of Carbonated Beverages Revealed

As per the results, presented at the ESC Congress, expenditures on carbonated drinks were potentially associated with the OHCAs of cardiac origin, but no link was found between beverages and the OHCAs of non-cardiac origin.

Expenditures on other drinks, such as green and black tea, cocoa, vegetable and fruit juice, milk, fermented milk and mineral water were not significantly associated with OHCAs of cardiac origin.

“Consuming carbonated beverages was significantly and positively correlated with OHCAs of cardiac origin in Japan. This indicates that beverage habits might have an impact on fatal CVD”, explained Professor Saku. “The acid in carbonated beverages might play a vital role in this association”.

Even though the data on beverage consumption is based on expenditure, the association is not casual. The findings do highlight the significance of limiting the intake of carbonated beverages for better health prospects.