No matter how much you deck yourself up with makeup in order to look fresh, unless you get rid of those bags under your eyes, you will fail drastically. Sleepless nights and late hours of study are bound to leave their mark in the form of the ‘dreaded’ dark circles. Wish you could reduce dark circles and puffy eyes? Then fret no more, for we can solve the problem for you. The first and foremost step towards solution is to recognize the root cause of the problem.
What Causes Dark Circles?
- Genetic susceptibility
- Food allergies
- Lack of quality sleep
- Deficiency of iron which is known as ‘anaemia’ in scientific terms
- Excessive water retention in the body due to high salt intake
- Exposure to sunlight
- Physical or mental stress
- Prolonged use of heavy spectacles
- Nutritional deficiencies
Things To Do: Get Sufficient Sleep
You need to assess the length of sleep your body needs because every individual has different requirements so there is no definite benchmark. Cut down on the intake of caffeine and alcohol in the hours leading up to bedtime. This will remove any stimuli interfering with a peaceful, beauty sleep.
Let Go Off Stress And Relax
The skin somewhat reveals, whatever you have on your mind. So stop worrying about situations that are beyond your control and let your brain wind down. This will not only improve the quality of life but will also pave way to a deep sleep.
Watch What You Eat
- Take plenty of fluids including at least 8 glasses of water per day.
- Eat green leafy vegetables like spinach, peas, cabbage and carrots. These contain iron which enables body to synthesize blood cells thereby addressing the deficiency of blood.
- Eat fresh fruits without removing skin especially apples.
- Add calcium and vitamin supplements to your daily diet especially vitamin B6 and folic acid.
- Carrots are a wonderful source of Vitamin A and iron which help relieve dark circles so make it a compulsory part of your daily diet.
- Prefer fruits rich in Vitamin C especially lemons and oranges.
Try Natural Remedies: Cucumber
Dip 2 cotton swabs in cucumber juice and place them over both the eyes for 15 minutes every morning or cut 2 slices of a fresh cucumber and cover the eyes for at least 15 minutes. You can repeat this in the evening as well. Cucumber carries antioxidants like lignans and flavanoids. These improve blood circulation through the facial vessels and also hydrate the skin that helps remove puffiness under the eyes.
Place tea bags in boiling water for 10 minutes and then remove them. Now put them in a refrigerator for half an hour and then apply them to your eyes. Tea bags contain antioxidants and ‘tannin’, a chemical that encourages blood flow through vessels under the eyes.
Apply potato juice or puree to the eyes and keep still for 30 minutes. Potatoes contain natural bleaching agents that do wonders to tired eyes.
Tomatoes are a rich source of antioxidants and Vitamin A and C. These vitamins help to lighten the dark pigmentation around eyes. So apply tomato juice to the eyes for 15 minutes and then rinse it off.
Lemons are full of Vitamin C which has skin lightening properties so apply half a teaspoon of lemon juice to those raccoon eyes. Rinse out in 15 minutes. (CAUTION: Rinse your eyes immediately if you feel burning sensation)
Handle The Skin Around Your Eyes Gently
Do not rub your eyes roughly while removing makeup or when they feel itchy. The skin in this area is very sensitive so be gentle! Do not use low-quality make up products. You can always take help of a good quality liquid concealer to dab your dark circles gently with and look all fresh for that party tonight.
So readers, you can now pull all nighters without fretting about the un-welcomed after effects. For incorporating the remedies listed above, into your daily routine, will not only enable you to get rid of dark circles but will also leave you looking fresh and energized!