7 Reasons Why Your Toothbrush May Be Making You Sick

Brushing teeth is a rite which all sensible ladies and gentlemen pass through daily, either after they wake up or before they sleep. Unlike food which goes in our mouth and disappears immediately, the mighty toothbrush comes and goes in our mouths regularly. So it is highly likely that it has some unwanted “things” on it.

 

giphy-plaque

 

Here are the 7 things why your toothbrush may be making you sick:

  1. Your Toothbrush Is A Germ House

Your toothbrush has microscopic and mysterious souls living on them. Researchers from the Old Dominion University in England have reported that your toothbrush is colonizing more than 100 million bacteria including E. coli and staphylococci bacteria.

  1. Do Not Brush In The Bathroom

Do not store the toothbrush in the bathroom without caution. If the toilet is close to the sink it may be infected with poop bacteria.

Researchers at the University of Alabama in Birmingham have said that every time the toilet plug is pulled, bacteria take advantage of the mayhem and escape in the air and have a chance of settling on your toothbrush.

 

giphy-plaque2

 

  1. Clean Your Brush Holder

Another favorable place for bacteria to settle is in the cozy, dark corners of your toothbrush holder. Bacteria spread by toilet flushing have an equal chance of landing on your toothbrush holder as well. The National Sanitation Foundation (NSF) found that, after dish sponges and kitchen sinks, toothbrush holders are the fourth favorite place of germs.

 

giphy-plaque3

 

  1. Your Toothbrush Cap Is Not A Good Idea

Just like your brush holder, any other place shaded enough for the bacteria to grow should be enough to cause concern. Therefore, do not use toothbrush covers which create a moist and optimum breeding ground for bacteria. Additionally, don’t let your brushes touch other brushes as it transfers bacteria, something you don’t want

Keep your toothbrush capped only when packing for a journey. Not capping it this time may rub your toothbrush in unwanted places.

  1. Plaque Gets Stuck In The Bristles

If plaque can stick to your teeth so why not to your toothbrush? Plaque formed on your teeth is due to types of bacteria called Streptococcus mutans and anaerobes like fusobacterium and actinobacteria. Your brush may be helping you clear up plaque stuck in your teeth but don’t forget to toss it away after some time.

 

giphy-plaque5

 

  1. The Type Of Toothbrush Filaments Is Important

Toothbrush bristles should be made up of the right material. As the wrong ones may be slowly eroding your teeth. Researchers at the University of Michigan have found out that bristles made up of plastic cause less wear to teeth enamel than any other type of bristle.

 

giphy-plaque4

 

 

  1. Does Your Brush Sanitizer Really Work?

There are toothbrush sanitizers which claim to clean your toothbrush the right way for your ease and luxury. Some of them use ultraviolet light, sprays or specially prepared solutions. Some have built in bristles with antibacterial properties exclusively and specially for you. All of these intricate machines kill germs on your toothbrush.

Be advised, you have to clean it every day with soap or dip it in antibacterial mouthwash and dry it to keep it clean.

However, it is advised not to go too far as to sterilize your brush in a microwave or dishwasher or pressure cooker. Your toothbrush is not built to withstand such cruelty and doing so may reduce its usefulness.

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.